Rosie Newman, MA, LMHC, RPT-S
I am a child and family therapist, particularly a play therapist. I work with children and families that are in transition, experiencing a stressor, or at times, just need a little extra support.
When I spend time with children in the play therapy room, I am inspired by their inner strength and direction and their natural tendency to process and organize their world through the play and art materials around them. As a play therapist, I become both a witness and their partner in this process. What a gift to be able to accompany a child on this otherwise lonely road, which leads to a greater understanding of themselves and others and a world that is a little less scary and confusing!
Outside of the therapy room, I am involved in education and advocacy. I am the past president (2013) of the WA State Association for Play Therapy. During my time as president I propelled the branch to earn it’s first Gold Branch Award for advocating and educating about Play Therapy in our area.
I have also taught a graduate level course in Play Therapy in the Master’s of Arts in Psychology program at Seattle University, and enjoy teaching play therapy to aspiring play therapists and graduate students.
I am a Registered Play Therapist – Supervisor (RPT-S) and provide clinical supervision and consultation to aspiring therapists. As of 2016, I am the only active-status RPT-S registered with the Association for Play Therpay in the city of Seattle. Click on the Supervision page to learn more.
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC), WA Department of Health, LH60331760
- Registered Play Therapist Supervisor (RPT-S), Association for Play Therapy (APT)
- Child Mental Health Specialist (CMHS), WA State
- Mental Health Professional (MHP), WA State
- WA State Department of Health Approved Supervisor
- Richmond the American International University in London, England, BA, Clinical Psychology, First Class Honors
- Seattle University, MA, Clinical Psychology, Existential and Phenomenological Psychology
I am excited to announce that I am the new clinical director for the Seattle chapter of the National non-profit A Home Within. I was drawn to AHW because of the vision and mission – free, long-term psychotherapy for foster youth! As a therapist that has worked in community mental health, I was often met with systemic challenges, like funding and multiple moves that would impede the therapeutic progress. That’s why I chose to volunteer my time to support this much needed service that allows therapists to develop a stable therapeutic relationship with foster children for “as long as it takes!”
A Home Within, Seattle is actively recruiting therapists and consultation group leaders willing to volunteer pro bono services to serve foster youth in the area. If you are interested in volunteering or learning more about this fulfilling opportunity, I am happy to meet with you to discuss the program and answer any questions. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or request for more information.
- Seattle University, (March 14, 2013), Play Therapy: A Window Into the Child’s World, MAP Lecture
- Pacific Lutheran University, Guest Lecture, (June 27, 2013),Skills in Child Centered Play Therapy, MFT Graduate Program,
- Seattle Counselors Association, (May 16, 2014), Play Therapy,
- National Sandplay Therapists of America Annual Conference, Play Therapy Reflections, (June 8, 2014), with Janet Tatum, MSW, LCISW, Jungian Analyst
- Seattle Pacific University, Guest Lecture, (July 23, 2014), Introduction to Child Centered Play Therapy, MFT Graduate Program
- Washington Association of Marriage and Family Therapy, (August 1, 2014), Play Therapy with Children and Families
- Washington Association for Play Therapy (December 2, 2014) Engaging Parents in the Play Therapy Process, WAAPT Networking CE Event
- Washington Association for Play Therapy, (March 11, 2015), Aggression in Play Therapy, WAAPT Networking CE Event
- Washington Association for Play Therapy, (March 27, 2015), Navigating Challenging Situations in Play Therapy, Annual Conference
- San Juan School District, (April 18, 2015), Navigating Challenging Situations in Play Therapy, CE Workshop
Washington Association for Play Therapy (WAAPT), Board President (2013), Current Member
Northwest Alliance for Psychoanalytic Study, Child Therapy Program Committee (2015 – present), Current Member
Seattle University, College of Art and Sciences, Alumni Spotlight
WA Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (2015) Family Advocacy Award, A Home Within