Rosie Newman, MA, LMHC, RPT-S
I am a child and family therapist, particularly a play therapist. I work with children and families that are in transition, experiencing a stressor, or at times, just need a little extra support.
When I spend time with children in the play therapy room, I am inspired by their inner strength and direction and their natural tendency to process and organize their world through the play and art materials around them. As a play therapist, I become both a witness and a partner in this process. What a gift to be able to accompany a child on this otherwise lonely road, which leads to a greater understanding of themselves and others and a world that is a little less scary and confusing!
Outside of the therapy room, I am involved in education and advocacy. I am the past president (2013) of the WA State Association for Play Therapy. During my time as president, I propelled the branch to earn its first Gold Branch Award for advocating and educating about Play Therapy in our area.
I have also taught a graduate-level course in Play Therapy in the Master’s of Arts in Psychology program at Seattle University, and enjoy teaching play therapy to aspiring play therapists and graduate students.
I am a Registered Play Therapist – Supervisor (RPT-S) and provide clinical supervision and consultation to aspiring therapists. As of 2016, I am the only active-status RPT-S registered with the Association for Play Therapy in the city of Seattle. Visit the Consultation page to learn more.
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC), WA Department of Health, LH60331760
- Registered Play Therapist Supervisor (RPT-S), Association for Play Therapy (APT)
- Child Mental Health Specialist (CMHS), WA State
- Mental Health Professional (MHP), WA State
- WA State Department of Health Approved Supervisor
- Richmond the American International University in London, England, BA, Clinical Psychology, First Class Honors
- Seattle University, MA, Clinical Psychology, Existential and Phenomenological Psychology
Between 2013-2019 I was the clinical director for the Seattle chapter of the National non-profit A Home Within. I was drawn to AHW because of the vision and mission – free, long-term psychotherapy for foster youth! As a therapist that has worked in community mental health, I was often met with systemic challenges, like funding and multiple moves that would impede the therapeutic progress. That’s why I chose to volunteer my time to support this much-needed service that allows therapists to develop a stable therapeutic relationship with foster children for “as long as it takes!”
A Home Within, Seattle is actively recruiting therapists and consultation group leaders willing to volunteer pro bono services to serve foster youth in the area. If you are interested in volunteering or learning more about this fulfilling opportunity, I am happy to meet with you to discuss the program and answer any questions. Request for more information here.
A Sample of Presentations
- Seattle University, (March 14, 2013), Play Therapy: A Window Into the Child’s World, MAP Lecture
- Seattle Counselors Association, (May 16, 2014), Play Therapy
- National Sandplay Therapists of America Annual Conference, Play Therapy Reflections, (June 8, 2014), with Janet Tatum, MSW, LCISW, Jungian Analyst
- Washington Association of Marriage and Family Therapy, (August 1, 2014), Play Therapy with Children and Families
- San Juan School District, (April 18, 2015), Navigating Challenging Situations in Play Therapy, CE Workshop
- Washington Association for Play Therapy (June 9, 2017), Bibliotherapy and Play Therapy. Networking CE Workshop.
- Family Systems Therapists Northwest, Meaningful Moments in Play Therapy, Salon CE Event, November 4, 2017.
- Washington State Association for Play Therapy, Annual Conference, Meaningful Moments in Play Therapy, March 23, 2018
Crenshaw, D. & Newman, R., (June, 2017). The Crisis of Connection: Addressing Attachment Problems in Play Therapy. Play Therapy Magazine, 12(2), pp. 18-21.
Washington Association for Play Therapy (WAAPT), Board President (2013), Membership Director (2017), Current Member
Northwest Alliance for Psychoanalytic Study, Child Therapy Program Committee (2015 – present), Current Member
Seattle University, College of Art and Sciences, Alumni Spotlight
WA Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (2015) Family Advocacy Award, A Home Within